Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Guinness BBQ Sauce Recipe

Much to my chagrin, Bull's-Eye Brand BBQ sauce discontinued my favorite flavor; Guinness. This was a staple in our households and was used in everything from chicken and ribs, to cole slaw. I am determined to recreate the sauce myself. I found a few recipes on the internet, but none of the ones found were the flavor I was going for (especially as a cole slaw enhancement. 

Epicurious Guinness BBQ sauce: Tired this because it looked super easy, even though I knew it wasn't going to be the flavor profile I needed. This sauce has kick, and would be excellent atop a pulled pork sandwich.

Cooking with Curls Blog: Good sauce, although I did simmer it longer than the recipe called so it wouldn't be so runny. A little kick with some sweetness. Not a match to the Bull's-Eye Brand, but getting closer.

Bombchelle's Guinness BBQ sauce: Closer to the flavor profile of the bottled sauce, not exact, but very good. It's got a bit more heat than the Bull's-Eye brand, but is still smooth. Looking forward to tweaking this a bit more, but for now it's good to go for summer grill season.
  • 1 11.2 oz Bottle or Can Guinness® Draught
  • 1 cup all-natural ketchup
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ cup of dark molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups organic dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder

  1. Put Guinness® in sauce pan, boil, then simmer; reduce by half
  2. Add rest of ingredients and whisk, bring to boil, and then simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until your desired thickness.

Printfriendly