Friday, August 26, 2005

Another One Bites the Dust

A few weeks ago, a friend announced to me she was due with her first child in March. I never know what to say when I get news of another friend entering the wild world of parenthood. It feels awful not to have the normal reaction that most people have: the feeling of happiness and excitement for the friend. I clam up, don't know what to say and end up offering a very flat sounding congratulations.

When this latest friend made the announcement, it struck me that out of the 12 weddings (yes 12) I was invited to in 2001 (including my own), my husband and I were now the solo DINKs (Double Income, No Kids). When I mentioned this to MLH (my loving husband), he reminded me that there was actually two more couples who were still unthethered with kids or pregnancy. I quickly calmed down and realized we weren't the only people married in 2001 who were happily enjoying life without children.

Well, today I got word that couple number 10 is also expecting in March. So much for the child-free population being the fastest growing demographic in the US.

Printfriendly